Looking at Cognitive Science through a Kaleidoscope of Vantage Points!
Cognitive solutions are valid in the sense that they mimic and emulate certain human intelligence features. This is achieved through various forms like data mining, pattern recognition, and natural language processing among other things. The important part of such a system is that it must be able to recognize the context of human behavior in a way so as to be efficient in decision making.
Paving the way for the Future
Let’s be frank here…cognitive solutions lead to the betterment of the evolution of data as it gets metamorphosed into useful information. With the use of such information, machines can be programmed to review a scientific journal, publish a medical article, analyze complex GIS maps, do remote sensing of strategic locations and also understand a law thesis.
Data stands at the apex of the pyramid of machine self-actualization. With low quality data, a machine cannot perform as efficiently. Thus, top notch data is necessary for machines to be able to understand the world through sensing, reasoning, interacting, hypothesis and arguments.
A cognitive system can serve major roles in an organization
- Reasoning: Interpreting, organizing and explaining information
- Adaptive: It must be dynamic in the sense that it should be able to adapt to the changing environment conditions. This facet is more related to EQ (Emotional Quotient) and SQ (Social Quotient) rather than IQ (Intelligence Quotient)
- Learning: Learning new concepts and providing the basis for their implementation
- Understanding: Adapt and make sense of all data
- Interactive: A smooth interaction with the user base is a must
- Contextual: Dependency on multiple sources of information (structured and unstructured data) and contextual elements like space, time, syntax, domain, and so on
Some Flagship Cognitive Solutions Applications
- Human Resources : Increases recruiter productivity, decreases costs, and improves day-to-day decisions
- Healthcare: Introducing pioneering products, making periodic checkups, and analyzing patient information to give an accurate and precise analysis
- Finance: Making informed decisions, better ROI (Return on Investment), providing stable financial statements and so on
- Education: how to pass instructions from one classroom to the next, how to manage learner records, and how to provide quality education for everyone
- Insurance: Organize flow of data, detect fraudulent claims, and improve customer experience and SLA response times
- Manufacturing: Workflows, supply chains, just in time processes are efficiently managed, thus optimizing performance
With the rising popularity of machines that can think for themselves, and even start by themselves, Cognitive Solutions are fast becoming a way of life and not just an exception to the norm!